The noble castle of the Malaspina family lords over and hugs the ancient town of Fosdinovo, which overlooks the Lunigiana and Magra valley. Nine hundred years of history are rooted in the watchtowers and its connecting pathways, the courtyards, the crenellations, and the cornerstones of this well-preserved fortress where the Marchesi Torrigiani Malaspina family resides to this day.
The earliest part of the castle dates from the middle of the fourteenth century, when it was built on the orders of Spinetta Malaspina, one of the leading figures of the Malaspina family, who had understood the importance of its strategic, political and military position. The castle was thus erected to guard the Appennine passes, and at the same time, keep watch on the sea. Blood relations with the Visconti, Grimaldi and Doria families made all of these defiant ‘Ghibellini’ a ‘thorn’ in the side of Lucca and Sarzana, as well as for the bishops of Luni. As it was normal for the quarrelling Italian lords of the time to keep alternate alliances, the Malaspina also sided with the Church, which allowed them to gain great fame in the battle of Lepanto in 1571.