An Egyptian Meseum in Florence? Who knew?
LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE
Get 1 year from 27.50 €

Digital and paper subscriptions available worldwide

Subscribe now

An Egyptian Meseum in Florence? Who knew?

The Egyptian Museum of Florence (Museo Egizio), second in Italy only to its famous counterpart in Turin, is located inside the city’s Archaeological Museum. Its first group of Egyptian relics has been present in Florence since the 18th century as part of the Medici collections. During the 19th

bookmark
Thu 16 Nov 2006 1:00 AM

The Egyptian Museum of Florence (Museo Egizio), second in Italy only to its famous counterpart in Turin, is located inside the city’s Archaeological Museum. Its first group of Egyptian relics has been present in Florence since the 18th century as part of the Medici collections. During the 19th century, this collection was greatly increased by Leopoldo II, Grand Duke of Tuscany, who bought selected works and sponsored a scientific expedition to Egypt in 1828-29. The expedition was led by hieroglyphics decipherer Jean François Champollion and Egyptologist Ippolito Rosellini, from Pisa. Several objects collected during the expe-dition include the XVIII dynasty chariot, the pillar and relief with the goddess Maat from the tomb of Sethy I, the funerary equip-ment belonging to King Taharqa’s daughter’s wet-nurse, and the Fayum portrait of a woman.

The Museum was founded in 1855 and reorganised by Egyptologist Ernesto Schiaparelli in 1880. Schiaparelli greatly increased the Florentine Egyptian collections, thanks to his excavations and purchases made in Egypt before moving to Turin.

The last group of relics received by the Egyptian Museum of Florence was made possible thanks to donations from private citizens and scientific institutions. Extremely remarkable relics were a very welcome addition, donated by the Papyrological Institute of Florence. These relics, found in Egypt between 1934 and 1939, include the rich Coptic Textiles Collection.

The Egyptian Museum of FlorenceVia della Colonna, 38 (near Piazza S.S. Anunziata)055-23575Tickets: 4.13 EuroTuesday-Friday 8:30-3:00; Saturdays and Holidays 8:30-2:00; Monday 2:00-4:00

Jane’s notes: The Egyptian Museum is on the first floor of the Palazzo della Crocetta, built for Archduchess Maria Maddalena d’Austria in 1620 to an unusual, cross-shaped design. It contains over 14,000 exhibits, its Coptic textile collection being one of the most important in the world. Each of the rooms, filled with items from now-extinct cultures, is rich in the history of the human race, and provides an informative ‘walk’ through time, beginning with the Paleolithic Age (prehistoric Egypt), which began 2 million years ago. The Archeological Museum was hard hit by the 1966 flood, but since has been fully restored.

Related articles

ART + CULTURE

Science sisters: Artemisia visits the National Institute of Optics

INO Director Raffaella Fontana tells us about the conservation of Artemisia's Allegory of Inclination, using 3D digital technology.

ART + CULTURE

Honoring heroes of the past

Learn the backstory of "Heroes, a True Story" based on courageous real-life events in Fiesole during the Second World War.

ART + CULTURE

Alfredo Pirri at Florence Opera House

Take a Sunday morning tour of Alfredo Pirri's art installation on the roof of Florence Opera House

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE