After a one-year absence, one of Michelangelo’s famed early works, the Crucifix housed in Florence’s Santo Spirito, has returned to its rightful place. The wooden crucifix left the Florence basilica, where it has been conserved intermittently since it was created in 1492, to ‘tour’ Naples and Turin.
In celebration of its return, the cross will be on public display until September 26 inside the church. Usually housed in the Giuliano da Sangallo sacristy of the Barbadori Chapel, its home since 2000, for the event the cross will be placed at the centre of the basilica.
In addition to special concerts and religious functions, guided visits of the church, the sacristy, the cloister of the crucifix and the works of Poccetti have also been organized. The guided visits are offered by the Augustianian community; for more information, contact the Augustinan fathers of Santo Spirito at 055/210030.