ph. Andrea Paoletti
Restoration work has been completed on Florence Cathedral’s famous rose window.
Positioned above the doorway of Arnolfo di Cambio’s then-unfinished facade in June 1405, the rose window is part of the extraordinary cycle of 44 glass windows making up Florence Cathedral, which were crafted between 1394 and 1444 by master glass makers based on designs by Donatello, Lorenzo Ghiberti, Paolo Uccello, Andrea del Castagno and Agnolo Gaddi. Split into 28 panels measuring six metres by 16 cm in diameter, the rose window was made by Niccolò di Piero Tedesco, according to Lorenzo Ghiberti’s preparatory drawing depicting the Assumption of the Virgin.
The restoration work was deemed necessary by Opera di Santa Maria Del Fiore in order to restore the colours of the glass, darkened over time due to weathering.
Florentine glass-making firm Studio Guido Polloni & C. carried out the restoration work, coupled with the support of the Intesa Sanpaolo bank as part of its “Restituzioni” project.
Until September 8, the window will be displayed in the Baptistery, where visitors have the opportunity to admire the restored masterpiece up close.
The rosone will be returned to the Duomo’s façade later this year.
For more information, visit www.ilgrandemuseodelduomo.it