The Consorzio Vino Chianti Classico is marking 300 years of winemaking tradition in the famous Chianti territory.
While the consortium was founded in 1924, Chianti Classico’s roots date to 1716, when Grand Duke of Tuscany Cosimo III de’ Medici officially set the boundaries of the Chianti wine production zone.
The consortium’s celebration, which also promotes the 2015 vintage, has included placing the giant metal sculptures of the gallo nero, the rooster symbolizing Chianti Classico, in Greve and various piazzas throughout the area. Remarking on the installations, consortium chairman Sergio Zingarelli commented, ‘We hope that these sculptures can stay in place long term, becoming symbols of the area.’
Other plans include an exhibition at the Casa Chianti Classico in Radda retracing the consortium’s 300 years.
View more information on celebrations and related events here.