On June 24, 51.9 per cent of the British people voted to leave the European Union. For the other 48.1 per cent in the Remain camp, the decision was marked as a “day of despair” (Jonathan Freedland, Guardian). British immigrants living in Florence and Tuscany are firmly against the UK leaving the EU. Their reaction, mine included, is an indescribable cocktail of fear, shame, anger, shock and helplessness. 66,000 Brits live in Italy and our future as non-Europeans, as “extracomunitari”, now appears very uncertain.