Pistoia’s oldest church, San Salvatore, will be restored in an initiative coinciding with the city’s tenure as Italy’s capital of culture.
The Foundation Cassa di Risparmio di Pistoia e Pescia has assigned the restorative works to Ires spa di Firenze who are expected to carry out structural and functional renovations to the building. Upon its completion the church will be used as a multipurpose space for local schools.
This progress follows the 2015 decision of the Foundation Carpit to restore the church and prevent further damage to the building which has been abandoned since it was deconsecrated in 1784.
San Salvatore is believed to be the oldest Christian building in Pistoia, dating from 979 AD and undergoing renovations in the thirteenth century.
The church once formed part of the first city walls, nearby the northeastern side of the Pistoia’s fortified walls.