Tuscany will retain “red zone” measures against Covid-19 until April 6, a strict lockdown situation similar to spring 2020. As stated on the Italian government website, “Without a valid reason to go out, it is mandatory to stay at home, for the good of everyone”. The one exception to these rules is that during the Easter weekend, from April 3 to 5, up to two adults may spend time in another person’s home, on the condition that they live in the same region, only do so once a day, and observe the 10pm-5am curfew.
A view of Florence on March 29, 2021. Ph. Vincenzo Maccarrone @mac_one1975
Red zone rules
- Schools and universities are closed for in-person learning; distance learning only.
- Shops are legally required to close, with the exception of businesses selling essentials such as grocery stores, newsagents and pharmacies. Hairdressers and beauty parlours will close. Banks and post offices will remain open.
- Restaurants may only sell takeout until 10pm and bars, ice-cream parlours and bakeries may only sell takeout until 6pm. There is no time restriction on home deliveries. Takeout may not be consumed in the vicinity of the place of purchase.
- You may only leave your home for proven work, education or health reasons, or for matters of necessity. If you leave your home and are stopped by the police for a check, you must be able to justify your reasons using the self-declaration form (theflr.net/self-declaration-covid) and show a form of ID. If you are unable to do so, you risk being fined between 400 and 3,000 euro, criminal charges in extreme cases, and even imprisonment on the grounds of false declaration. Returning to your home or place of residence is always permitted.
- You are not allowed to visit or meet relatives or friends. (For Easter, on April 3, 4 and 5, up to two adults may spend time in one other household once a day, provided that the persons live in the same region and the visit takes place between 5am and 10pm; children under 14 are not included in the “head count”, neither are disabled or non-self-sufficient persons.)
- You may take a walk in the vicinity of your home, as long as physical distance of one metre is observed and face protection is worn. Individual outdoor exercise such as cycling and running is permitted. Exercise at sports centres, whether indoors or outdoors, is not allowed.