COMMUNITY

Useful resources about life in Florence, Italy, focusing on the international community.

COMMUNITY

Via con me

‘You almost never write about women,’ a woman friend told me not long ago. ‘Most of your articles talk about men.’   I had not been tallying up ...

COMMUNITY

June Bellamy

June Bellamy was born in Burma to a Burmese princess and an Australian pioneer. Burma (now known as Myanmar) was occupied by the Japanese during the war, and ...

COMMUNITY

A dog’s day

You'll see them at the hairdressers, at the spa and by the beach. You'll find them toted like fuzzy Pokemon hand-bags that whine and yap. Most often, their fur matches their owners' hair. We could even start a debate: discuss the identity of Italian dogs and decide

COMMUNITY

Mestre Boca Nua

Mestre Boca Nua, whose real name is Cosme Soares de Oliveira, was destined to become a mestre (master) of capoeira, the Afro-Brazilian art form that combines music, dance and martial art, and whose origins go back to the sixteenth century when African slaves, after arriving in Brazil, combined the

COMMUNITY

Threat or promise

Word gifts are all around. Sometimes they come as swooning song lyrics or arrive in the mail with greeting card sweetness. And sometimes, yes, sometimes, a lovely pair of parole will crop up in the most unlikely of places and rock a girl's linguistic presumptions straight to the core. &

COMMUNITY

Are you KIDding? A day at the park

After having spent the majority of the last decade living in the center of Florence, I became one of ‘those people' who high-tailed it to the outskirts as soon as baby came along. Amidst romantic notions of ambling through the Santo Spirito morning market and frolicking in the

COMMUNITY

Kristin Lanese

After growing up in a small suburban city outside of Cleveland, Ohio, Kristin Lanese decided to move to the West coast to attend the University of Southern California (USC) with the hopes of becoming a teacher. Before even graduating, she was teaching English at language schools and after-school programs.

COMMUNITY

Babyland

DOWNLOAD THE SECOND CHAPTER OF THE BOOK   Over the last two months, five people who populate my daily sphere-friends, relatives or acquaintances-have made the ‘I'm having a baby' announcement, and that's only counting half of each couple. By announcement three, I began to get

COMMUNITY

Margarita Martinez

Margarita Martinez was born in Sydney, Australia and grew up in a surf town south of Melbourne. While other children were out at the beach, Margarita was practicing the piano. Because both of her parents were professional musicians-her Australian mother a pianist and her Spanish father an organist-everyone

COMMUNITY

Easy my eye

The national inclination to downplay one's resources is matched only by the widespread ability to savor a challenge.   Anyone who lives in Italy inevitably has a bit of investigatore privato running through his or her veins, for no other country proves a better setting if you're intent

COMMUNITY

Bettina Schindler

Bettina Schindler, who was born and raised in Austria by a German mother and a Swiss father, was told that the results of a school aptitude test indicated that she would make a good art restorer. While most of her classmates did not follow the test's advice, Bettina did.

COMMUNITY

A Florentine bambino

Tuscany undoubtedly has one of the highest-quality maternal healthcare programs in Italy, possibly one of the best in the world. Hard to believe? Read on.       Once you ...

COMMUNITY

Saluting

Partenze and arrivi-the essence of friendship.The essence, in fact, of life.       Very likely traumatized by their recent plane flight oltremare, my sister’s children forced me to ...

COMMUNITY

David Joseph Yacus

When David Joseph Yacus was 12 years old, he was introduced to the trombone at his grammar school in Nantucket, Massachusetts. Even though he was initially attracted to the saxophone, ...

COMMUNITY

Unforeseen

Admittedly, most English-language learners are concerned with the nuts and bolts of it. Until the 1990s, students of English in Italy based their language skills on a single unarguable certainty: the pen is on the table. Whose pen it was, what it was doing there and whether or not

COMMUNITY

Natasha Garland

Florence is home to many expats: those who have longed to live here, those who have found love and moved here, and those who have come to Florence and felt immediately at home here. Many people arrive here at a point in their lives when they seek to redefine themselves:

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE