COMMUNITY

Useful resources about life in Florence, Italy, focusing on the international community.

COMMUNITY

Bottega dei Ragazzi

Bottega dei Ragazzi and The Florentine will be working together again in February to offer fun, English-language art workshops for children during the last weekend of the month. These workshops are based on the principle of ‘learning through doing' and reflect the traditions of Renaissance workshops. Skilled staff

COMMUNITY

On top of the dome, with Pippo

When you think of the story of Brunelleschi's dome of Florence cathedral, you think of complicated construction machinery and mind-boggling mathematical calculations, don't you? Well, you're right. The story is rife with math and machines. But, it's also spiced with plenty of anecdotes, the kind

COMMUNITY

Turtle meets mice

In real life, I'm much more private than I am in print. While hidden behind an ink-filled page, there is no downside to divulging one's innermost reflections. But ask me what I ate for dessert last night and I'll fidget about chocolate being far too personal

COMMUNITY

Bottega dei ragazzi

How many times have you heard your out-of-town friends say, ‘Florence is such a lovely city, but where are all the kids?' It does sometimes seem like the Renaissance city is completely devoid of children as families have begun to move out of the center and into

COMMUNITY

Honesty and policy

Once a week, I force myself to turn on the television. Something might be happening out there, and I might need to know about it. My fleeting desire to be ...

COMMUNITY

Nutshells

Emma waters her houseplants with vegetable broth and always wants the fullest leaves growing toward her. Would you be a dear and turn the jungle in that direction?' she asks.   Certainly,' you say. And in exchange for your trouble, she'll provide you with a tiny truth that will

COMMUNITY

For joy

>You’ll be teaching an English course for the chamber maids,’ the head hotel lady, Signora Dini explained. But they won’t be allowed to attend until they’ve finished making up the ...

COMMUNITY

Guarded piazza, open path

Geoff and I met years ago, during a training program in Florence, where I was the teacher and he was the student. Slightly younger and substantially smarter than me, he always did his assignments well and often waited for class to end to tell me I'd gotten something pitifully

COMMUNITY

Purple shoes and purpose

Concerned that living long-term in Italy has somehow damaged my ability to set meaningful goals, my sister does her best to nurture my undernourished purposeful side'. Not that I have one. But just in case I do, she wants to be the first to feed it.   Every September,

COMMUNITY

La, la, la

Although Italy has taught me to nurture a neurotic need for aesthetic perfection, I am not much of a scenery girl. And, while I do prefer palaces to skyscrapers, I'm seldom subject to the wide-eyed ‘wow' that gives weak knees to those who marvel at Tuscan hillsides

COMMUNITY

From the other side of the sea

Do you remember Mrs. Taylor, the one who used to work at the library?' My mother wanted to know over the phone the other day.   >Vaguely,' I said with a more-than-vague idea as to what she was driving at. Every time my mom starts playing the

COMMUNITY

Pianoland

‘See if you can write a fatto bello about vacations,’ my boss told me last week, in hopes of producing a theme-based newspaper on summer holidays.   >Marco, I don’t ...

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE