COMMUNITY

Useful resources about life in Florence, Italy, focusing on the international community.

COMMUNITY

Jeff Scurran

Jeff Scurran is new in town and is here on a mission. As the new coach of Guelfi Firenze, Florence's American football team (www.guelfifirenze.it), he has travelled across the Atlantic from Tucson, Arizona, to get the team ready for the start of an exciting new season. The

COMMUNITY

True and false friends

Way back at the beginning of the second millennium, I was teaching English at a Florentine school whose floors were as scuffed as their blackboards, which-originally white-had turned gray with grammar lessons.      The classes were small and the staff was smaller: Karen, a rainbow-bright

COMMUNITY

Tomas Simcha Jelinek

Tomas Simcha Jelinek has many stories to tell. He has been living in Tuscany for the past 30 years, both in Florence and in the Chianti hamlet of Lamole, and he is currently the manager of Ruth's kosher and vegetarian restaurant (www.kosheruth.com), next to Florence's Synagogue

COMMUNITY

A craftsman and a count

Inconveniences aside, there is something about a blizzard that gives you time. Unexpectedly, there's time to wait as energy-saving light bulbs grow bright enough to light something more than a Neanderthal cave. Time enough to notice how quiet the world looks while wearing white. And there's time

COMMUNITY

Elia Nichols

Elia Nichols grew up wanting to be an actress and one day live in Florence. And this is precisely what she set out to do. Today, after five years of living in the city, this very determined young woman is not only an accomplished actress, but she also created an

COMMUNITY

Buttered eels

One should never ask anything after a party. It is enough to keep a front-row corner of the couch and get full view as your hosts dissect the unfortunate guests who've already gone. Last Saturday when the last of the festa crowd pulled the door closed, the curtain

COMMUNITY

Alessandro Soltrani

Alessandro Soltrani smiles a lot, and he has a lot to smile about as the owner of one of the most popular bars in Florence, Enoteca Sant'Ambrogio Caffè, situated in the Santa Croce district. Born and raised in Iran, he first came to Italy as a student back

COMMUNITY

A comet and a kiss

On a trip home for the Christmas holiday, I met up with a Florentine friend in San Francisco, where the rogue moved two years ago for a short-term photography gig and a girlfriend whose infatuation for him lasted much less time than his newfound love for the Bay area.

COMMUNITY

Keith Sheldrake

We all know the fairytale scenario of a young female foreigner being swept off her feet by a romantic Italian and moving to Florence to live happily ever after. After all, it's not easy for an Italian man to start a new life away from Italy, and it's

COMMUNITY

Full speed ahead

Love is something cherished and rare, but for me, falling in love is as unavoidable as tripping on uneven cobblestone. And it’s not my fault. For those who have ...

COMMUNITY

Florentines: connect the dots

Recently, when I was in the Salone dei Cinquecento in Palazzo Vecchio for TEDx Florence, I realized that it had been nearly 1,000 days since my last visit to this marvellous place. I also realized that the theme of the conference, Innovation and Optimism, perfectly reflected my own thoughts

COMMUNITY

Four eyes to find him

There is something about Peter Pan that moves me. It may be the way he knows how to wink. Or how he can laughingly fly into a sword fight. Or perhaps I'm simply struck by the very genius of him, comforted and reassured by the immovable conviction that he

COMMUNITY

System me

In Italy, transport strikes loom suddenly, like a sharp-toothed dinosaur in a children's pop-up book. The country's queues are waves rather than lines, forming like a tide, with surge and flow.    Around here, calendars are used for counting down, not for arranging things ahead

COMMUNITY

Buffalo soldiers

The whole world is full of cultural investigators, and today, it's just you, me and the fencepost trying to figure out why people do the things they do. There are tons of signs to scrutinize along the road to cultural understanding and they all point to how a population

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE