On August 10, 2013, the local press photographed Florence’s mayor, Matteo Renzi, sitting on a bulldozer in the Cascine park, ready to help demolish the burned-out shell of the former nightclub Meccanò. In doing so, he declared that it was the city’s intention to spend 2 million euro on redeveloping the 130-hectare parkland to make it ‘the most beautiful park in Europe.’ Initially, what is now the largest park in Florence had been a Medici hunting and farming estate. In 1776, the owner at the time, Pietro Leopoldo of Lorena, opened it up to the public. From then on, it became a place for townspeople and tourists to visit and enjoy. One such tourist was British monarch Queen Victoria (1819–1901), who was often seen there whilst on holiday in Florence. She took such pleasure in her excursions there that a fountain was built in her honour, not far from the park’s original entrance, close to piazza Vittorio Veneto.