Procacci takes its truffle to Milan

Florentine institution expands nationally

Brenda Dionisi
October 1, 2015 - 15:40

Florence’s venerable delicatessen in via Tornabuoni, Procacci, has opened a new outpost. 

 

Located in one of Milan’s trendiest areas, at corso Garibaldi 79, the new shop offers ample seating with 50 spots indoors and some 20 alfresco. Along with its internationally renowned bite-sized bread rolls with truffle paste, Procacci in Milan’s small kitchen serves a number of Tuscan specialties, such as pappa al pomodoro, panzanella, carpaccio and salads along with a line of signature truffle-based delights.

 

First opened in 1885, Procacci soon became famous for its truffle-based culinary specialties and received the royal seal of approval in 1925 by then-king of Italy, Vittorio Emanuele III.

The Milan opening is the latest in an ambitious expansion plan spearheaded by the famed Florentine family of winemakers Marchesi Antinori, which purchased the delicatessen—then near bankruptcy—in 1998. Following openings in Vienna (2006) and Singapore (2010) with local wine importers, the Milan ‘experiment’ will be Antinori’s first partner-free venture. If successful, it signals future outposts in Venice and Rome, and, according to Allegra Antinori, head of catering, in speaking to Italian business daily, Il Sole 24 Ore, elsewhere around the world. Outside Florence, where Procacci will retain its historic space with tiny tables and bar, all new venues will be based on a more modern concept of a bistrot.

more articles

Comments