The Florence Baptistery will be closed to the public until December 18. The time will be used to safely set up a construction site that will allow restorations to be carried out on the mosaics in the dome. The works will also allow future visitors to see the mosaics up close.
The creation of the mosaics of the dome began in 1225, according to the date inscribed in the scarsella, and by the end of the century, the 1,200 square meters of mosaics on the dome were complete.
This project comes after the restoration of the eight internal walls of the Baptistery, in works that began in 2017 and were paused several times due to the pandemic. The cost of the construction site is being paid for entirely by the cathedral’s governing body, the Opera di Santa Maria del Fiore.