COMMUNITY

Useful resources about life in Florence, Italy, focusing on the international community.

COMMUNITY

Mr. Bojangles

Giancarlo, the affable man with whom I team teach, recently took off for Japan on what he described as a ‘mother-in-law mission’. ‘Japanese women like Italian men,’ he said to justify the absence. I believe his time off is better justified by the fact

COMMUNITY

Letter from the editor, December 2015

Dear readers, It’s that time of the year when Florence gets all dolled up in her elegant lights, when we fret about meeting the last international delivery date and our mouths dribble at the thought of tortellini in salty brodo. December is also when The Florentine extends its

COMMUNITY

10 influential Italians in the world today

It’s not all pizza, pasta and Chianti: Italy is a land of brainpower and creative genius. From scientists to economists, actors, architects and singers, some of the most powerful and ...

COMMUNITY

Your favourite The Florentine

What have you been reading on The Florentine? In 2015, our website saw more than half a million visitors – these are the top articles they were reading, from secret bakeries to swimming pools.     Explaining the expression ‘Prego’ Linda Falcone explains the meaning of this all-

COMMUNITY

The Thirteenth (or La tredicesima)

Today I received “the thirteenth”.   It’s a much awaited event for Italians, a highlight in the run up to Christmas that marks the start of Christmas shopping, a day when your cash flow suddenly improves and you book next year’s holidays, purchase Santa

COMMUNITY

8 reasons to subscribe to The Florentine

With Christmas coming, we’re tooting our own French horn just a bit when we say that we think getting a subscription to The Florentine is a gift that any Italy lover would want to find under the tree.   1) A new exciting paper every month, in print (

COMMUNITY

It all makes broth

Director of The Florentine Marco Badiani speaks great English, but, when it comes to idiomatic phrases, his choice is to be the king of the ‘detto non detto,’ offering creative ...

COMMUNITY

Mr. Bojangles

Giancarlo, the affable man with whom I team teach, recently took off for Japan on what he described as a ‘mother-in-law mission’. ‘Japanese women like Italian men,’ he said ...

COMMUNITY

Letter from the editor, December 2015

Dear readers, It’s that time of the year when Florence gets all dolled up in her elegant lights, when we fret about meeting the last international delivery date and our mouths dribble at the thought of tortellini in salty brodo. December is also when The Florentine extends its

COMMUNITY

The Day of the Cabbage (or “black cabbaged”)

It was a bad day at The Florentine. We were up against last-minute translation deadlines, the guys were producing animations for some key client up north and, lo and behold, ...

COMMUNITY

The Mud Angel series: Jo-Ann Mooy

In commemoration of the 1966 flood, The Florentine is interviewing the city’s Mud Angels, the individuals who responded to the disaster, tirelessly retrieving muddied manuscripts and soiled artworks, knee-deep in ...

COMMUNITY

Turkey truth

Jeremy is my American scholar-friend who dresses like an Englishman and happily attends Florentine cultural lectures like the kind I conjure. Then, as a member of the educated audience, ...

COMMUNITY

La Luna Storta

My friend Cornelia has been pining over Pinco Pallino for several years now. Cornelia is a pseudonym and Pinco Pallino is the fictional name for Italy’s run-of-the-mill Joe Shmoe. The fact that she didn’t react to me calling him that means she’

COMMUNITY

The rise of Italian tennis and why it matters

On September 12, Italian tennis was in an unrivalled win-win situation. To a nation it really didn’t matter who out of Flavia Pennetta or Roberta Vinci walked away with the ...

COMMUNITY

Beatrice Grassi, President of Consorzio Firenze Albergo

The week after Ferragosto is curiously quiet in Florence, but while the locals have deserted the city in search of water fights on Tuscany’s beaches, Florence’s hotels are still busy welcoming guests from all over the world. The Florentine met with Beatrice Grassi, president of Consorzio

COMMUNITY

Florence celebrates the European Day of Jewish Culture

Banda Improvvisa Synagogues and Hebrew communities across the continent will celebrate the 16th European Day of Jewish Culture on September 6. From the 72 Italian cities officially participating, Florence ...

COMMUNITY

Florence On Call

It’s no secret that in Italy, ‘knowing a guy’ can cut the time you spend tackling your to-do list in half. But what if you could count on one go-to guy to help you conquer everything from chores and errands to travel and leisure?

COMMUNITY

Orbetello devastated

It was an otherwise perfect summer in southern Tuscany. Endless days of sunshine and warm weather. Plenty of tourists, holidaymakers and food festivals to keep everyone busy.   And then, in the last week of July, the corpses of a thousand fish washed up on the shores of Orbetello Lagoon. &

COMMUNITY

The Italian mystery of the missing toilet seats

It’s only fair to say that bathrooms in Italy in private homes are typically immaculate: they approach a standard of almost Germanic cleanliness. Bathrooms in public places, however, are an ...

COMMUNITY

Prima Materia: a Montespertoli-based non-profit

The Montespertoli-based non-profit Prima Materia aims to make music a staple of after-school life both locally and internationally. Headed by British expats Dr. Deborah Parker and husband Henry Brown, ...

COMMUNITY

On the threshing floor

Started five years ago, Montespertoli’s A Veglia sulle Aie celebrates its agricultural heritage: the land, its fruits and the traditions of this farming community.   Having spent most of my childhood growing up on one of these Tuscan farms, a favorite memory of mine is catching lucciole, fireflies,

COMMUNITY

Trying temperatures

‘Single friends! Don’t have a/c at home? Want to try a marriage without commitment? For loan, Italian husband sensitive to gusts of cold wind, available for warm summer nights…so I ...

COMMUNITY

Lost in Translation: the winds of Italy explained

With Florence struggling in oppressive heat, I’ve taken my very British obsession with the weather to new extremes, and I’m not the only one. In The Florentine office, our cross-cultural lunchtime conversations have shifted from what’s for lunch (salad or skip it entirely)

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE