COMMUNITY

Useful resources about life in Florence, Italy, focusing on the international community.

COMMUNITY

Meet the president of Florence’s Chamber of Commerce

With Expo 2015 in nearby Milan and myriad other international events, such as the Flora Firenze flower show in May and Pope Francis’ visit in November, this is a year of opportunity for Tuscan businesses. The Florentine spoke with Leonardo Bassilichi, president of Florence’s Chamber of Commerce,

COMMUNITY

An interview with Linda Loppa

White and minimalist, the office of the director of Polimoda Linda Loppa belies the international fashion institute’s focus and creativity.

COMMUNITY

Erol Agi

Making my way through piazza Sant’Ambrogio to meet Dr. Erol Agi at Studio Dottori Bindi, a gleaming dental practice just steps from the square, I realized that I was approaching rather timidly. I reminded myself that I was meeting him for an interview, not a dental exam. As

COMMUNITY

Stay healthy in Florence

Needing health care abroad can be a real pill. When living in a foreign country and an unfamiliar city where you don’t speak the language, having to set up a ...

COMMUNITY

Coffee with Louise Holm Ferragamo

On a crisp day, The Florentine had the pleasure of chatting with Louise Holm Ferragamo in the discreet ambience of Caffè dell’Oro along lungarno degli Acciaiuoli. As the winter rays streamed in through the windows, Louise explained what brought her to Florence, her fervent support of Meyer

COMMUNITY

Italian lessons

The day has finally come to say goodbye to the last guests, fold the blankets and stack the mattresses, clean, cover and close. The last day of the season and time to say goodbye to my window view of cypress trees and green hills. Incredible, how fast six months have

COMMUNITY

A chat with Audrey Hepburn’s granddaughter

Emma Ferrer and I met on an unseasonably cold night this fall at a charming wine bar near piazza San Marco. Since her recent modelling stint for fashion magazine Harper’s Bazaar, Ferrer has been exposed to the unfamiliar limelight of international media attention, a slice of the fame

COMMUNITY

A chat with Abigail Rupp

Photos by Marco Badiani Before the holiday season got underway, The Florentine paid a visit to the recently renovated Palazzo Canevaro to chat with U.S. Consul General Abigail Rupp about life in Florence, the work of the U.S. Consulate and the weirdest thing she has seen in the

COMMUNITY

A guide to transportation in and around Florence

One of the best things about living in Florence is its size. Especially for those living in the city center, it is large enough to be bustling with activity while ...

COMMUNITY

Florence’s women-only running group

Let’s face it: we’ve probably all indulged in one slice of panettone too many over the holiday season. The good news is that Florence has many ways to burn off the Christmas calories, from gyms to dance academies. Among the most recent entries to Florence’

COMMUNITY

Tax debate

Ex-prime minister Silvio Berlusconi once famously claimed that the evasion of high taxes is a ‘God-given right.’ As many European nations grapple with debt crises, the costs of rampant tax evasion are once again at the forefront of public debates in Italy. Reports from the country&

COMMUNITY

Sharon Oddson

When Sharon Oddson and I met for a chat on a cloudy fall morning, shortly after unlocking La Cucina del Garga, her family-owned restaurant not far from the heart of San Lorenzo, she offered me a cappuccino. But even after four decades in Florence, she handed it to me

COMMUNITY

Interview with John R. Phillips, U.S. Ambassador to Italy

Photos by Marco Badiani   After the Tuscan-American Association’s recent Welcome Day, held annually to introduce American study-abroad students to Florence, The Florentine had the opportunity to interview the U.S. Ambassador to Italy, John Phillips. A former attorney with a background in public interest and

COMMUNITY

Nardia Plumridge

Sitting on a sun-drenched wooden bench in Ditta Artigianale, Florence’s hip new coffee shop, I waited for Nardia Plumridge, the face behind the successful ‘Lost in Florence’ website. She was dashing up the road on her bike to meet me for a chat and a

COMMUNITY

D for Domodossola…

I’m a words person, always have been, always will be. I am fortunate to have been born with an eye and a mind for correct spelling—I can spot a mistake from a distance and often intervene by wielding a red pen. As I’ve become

COMMUNITY

A cut above

In the heart of the San Lorenzo neighbourhood, near Florence’s Central Market, walking into International Studio you could be in London, New York or any metropolis in the world. Starkly ...

COMMUNITY

The lawyer to the expats: Michele Capecchi

It’s not all long lunches and glittering parties for those of us in the world of newspapers and publishing; sadly, nowadays, it’s rarely like that at all. The Florentine recently was forced to endure a legal tussle over a photograph we used as the basis for

COMMUNITY

More than shared coffee breaks

Not that long ago, the only facilities in Florence for travelling business professionals or those without permanent office spaces were those offered by Marconi World Office, Centro Servizi Firenze Nord and Executive Service, all of which still provide offices and support services but with prices and facilities aimed at top

COMMUNITY

Gabrielle Taylor

Beautiful marble statues take centre stage in the impressive, book-lined lounge in Florence’s Palazzo Tornabuoni Private Residence Club, where I sat down with Club Attaché Gabrielle Maria Taylor to find more about her life and work in Florence.   With a degree in art history and

COMMUNITY

Daisy Diaz

Year after year, Florence lures countless creative types who decide to make it home. A little over a decade ago, designer-turned-boutique owner Daisy Diaz became one of them. After a varied professional path in public relations and interior design, Diaz decided to open her own shop in Florence,

LIGHT MODE
DARK MODE