Restoration works on one of the San Marco Museum’s greatest treasures has been completed. The Pala di Bosco ai Frati underwent extensive works thanks to funding by Friends of Florence, presented on June 14 in the Sala del Beato Angelico.
The magnificent work by the Dominican painter and friar measures 175 by 175 cm and was painted around 1450 on the commission of Cosimo de’ Medici, who intended it for the Franciscan convent of San Bonaventura di Bosco ai Frati. It depicts an enthroned Madonna and child with saints, including St. Francis and St. Peter Martyr. The classical columns in the background hearken back to Fra Angelico’s time in Rome, where a few years before he had frescoed the Niccoline Chapel in the Vatican.
The restoration works lasted a year and were carried out by Lucia Biondi who attended the unveiling alongside Regional Director of Tuscan Museums Stefano Casciu, president of Friends of Florence Simonetta Brandolini d’Adda, director of the San Marco Museum Angelo Tartuferi, city councillor for culture, fashion and design Tommaso Sacchi, and US Consul General Ragini Gupta.