New Covid-19 rules have been announced by the Italian government due to an exponential rise in Omicron cases (28 per cent of the 44,000 new cases).
1. Masks must be worn outdoors until January 31. FFP2 face protection must be worn in cinemas, theatres, stadiums and on public transport.
2. All outdoor events prohibited and nightclubs closed until January 31.
3. From December 30, the non-vaccinated will neither be allowed to drink coffee nor eat at the counter, nor access museums, gyms, pools, spas and wellness centres, cultural, social and recreational centres, or play team sports.
4. The duration of the green pass will be reduced to six months, effective February 1, 2022, in order for people to secure booster doses, which will become available four months after the second dose.
5. Spot checks of rapid antigen and PCR tests will be reinforced on the Italian border.