With its vicinity to via della Vigna Nuova and via Tornabuoni, via della Spada is often short-shrifted on strolls through downtown Florence. Butcher shops and foodie favorites stand alongside high-fashion hangouts and children’s stores. Opulent palazzi and flagship boutiques are its neighbors’ trademarks, but via della Spada may be the most vibrant strip in the shopping district.
VIA DELLA SPADA > The Don’t Miss List
1. Cos – (1r) – Chic chain
2. Caffè Giacosa – (10r) – For a stylish cappuccino stop
3. Ottod’ame – (19r) With clothes that epitomize casual luxury, Ottod’ame‘s flagship store in Florence is a must for style mavens and interior design devotees: the sleek store layhout shifts every two weeks. The chic boutique boasts its own brand, a Paris branch and a Milan location in the pipeline.
4. Forno Top – (23r)Take one bite of the buttery crackers, customized cakes or classically Tuscan cantucci and you’ll understand how Forno Top got its name. Mouthwatering dessert displays and the famous pan di ramerino reel in the curious tourist, but the modestly priced panini have kept some loyal locals lunching here for 30 years. With savory breads and a brownie recipe to rival any American grandmother’s, Forno Top is your must-stop when hunger strikes in the heart of Florence.
5. Macelleria di Caterini Giorgio – (22r) – Neighborhood butcher
6. Cartoleria Le Dune – (33r) – Stationery, pretty paper and photocopying services
7. EFG Guanti – (28/r) Timeless elegance meets contemporary practicality at EFG Guanti. EFG’s butter-soft, artisan-made gloves range from the understated to the ultra-embellished–and even the touchscreen-compatible pairs look sophisticated. Though the clientele consists mostly of travelers on the hunt for the perfect gift, this is hardly a ‘tourist’ shop.
8. MIO Concept Store – (34r)A hodgepodge of home décor, costume jewelry and original CLET artwork, this small store makes a big impression. Owned by a self-described ‘German globetrotter,’ Mio will move you to brighten up your mantle with shiny knick-knacks, eye-catching prints and even paper hunting trophies handmade in Ravenna. Warning: stepping inside will most certainly turn innocent window-shoppers into avid kitsch collectors.
9. Aprosio & Co. – (38r) – Crystal and glass beads
10. Desii Lab – (40r)Fair-weather fashion fans should steer clear of Desii Lab‘s newest location, where the patterns are loud, the platforms are high and personal style is a top priority. Digital print dresses, asymmetrical silhouettes and cheeky pop accessories are cornerstones of the stock. With brands that include Dr. Martens, Jeffrey Campbell samples and Spain-based Kling, this boutique is one for the bold–of any age.
11. Tip Tap – (50r) – Children’s shoe shop
12. Ristorante La Spada – (62r) – Restaurant and rosticceria, a TF staff lunch standard