Italy is renowned for taking food seriously, especially when it comes to pizza. Italian-based publishing company 50 Top Pizza recently published their Guide to the Best Pizzerias in the World with a nationwide feature on Italy (of course!).
Here are the Best Pizzerias in Tuscany according to 50 Top Pizza.
‘O Scugnizzo (Arezzo)
With their ‘O Scugnizzo pizza restaurant in Arezzo, Caserta-born pizzaiolo Pierluigi Police and his son Gennaro hold the highest ranking in Tuscany at no.16. Expect simple surroundings and carefully made doughs.
“Among the classics we recommend the margherita and the marinara, but the white pizzas and the fried pizzas are also great.”
Second in Tuscany for pizza making at #19, Massimo Giovannini’s Apogeo serves light and crispy pies that are easy on the stomach, especially in the garden on summer nights not far from the coast.
“Massimo Giovannini makes one of the best pizzas along the Versilia coast, with leavenings and doughs that he has been working on since 1994.”
Il Vecchio e il Mare (Florence)
This pizzeria in via Vincenzo Gioberti owned by Mario Cipriano rises to 33rd place in Italy.
“Here excellent pizzas are made by Mario Cipriano’s expert hands and there is an offer of seafood cuisine as well… We tried the “Il Mio Panuozzo,” “Se mi lasci non vale” and the “Parmigiana” in the pan version. All of them were equally fantastic for the doughs, leavenings and quality ingredients.”
Giovanni Santarpia (Florence)
Humble pizza chef Giovanni Santarpia continues to wow locals and internationals with his considered pies in Galluzzo. Now at #35 on the 50 Top Pizza list for 2022.
“Just pizza is on offer with little else. The continual research into the raw materials used, paired with a bubbly dough that has a high crust and baked in a wood-fired oven, is palpable.”
Favourite pizza places in Florence
From gourmet toppings to steamed dough bases, tomato-less options and family favourites for a fun night out.
Chicco (Colle Val d’Elsa)
Stefano Canosci’s pizzeria Chicco in the old town centre of Colle Val d’Elsa now occupies the 48th spot.
“On offer are classic pizzas and pizzas topped with select ingredients, all made with a single dough that is neither too puffy nor too low and crunchy, light and digestible.”
Giotto Bistrot (Florence)
Renowned pizza chef Marco Manzi recently added a central Giotto Bistrot location near the Santa Maria Novella train station. His pizzas never disappoint, which is why he’s at number 49.
“For years now, Giotto Pizzeria has been rightly considered one of the best pizzerias in Florence. Marco Manzi, the owner and pizza chef, is one of the most well-known. His pizzas, especially the more classic versions, are particularly convincing thanks to the level of his excellent doughs.”
50 top pizzas in Italy, according to 50 Top Pizza:
- I Masanielli – Francesco Martucci – (Caserta, Campania)
- 50 Kalò (Naples)
- 10 Diego Vitagliano Pizzeria (Naples)
- I Tigli (San Bonifacio, Veneto)
- Francesco & Salvatore Salvo (Naples)
- Seu Pizza Illuminati (Rome)
- La Notizia 94 (Naples)
- 180g Pizzeria Romana (Rome)
- Dry Milano (Milan)
- Cambia-Menti di Ciccio Vitiello (Caserta, Campania)
- I Masanielli – Sasà Martucci (Caserta, Campania)
- Le Grotticelle (Caggiano, Campania)
- Qvinto (Rome)
- Pepe in Grani (Caiazzo, Campania)
- Carlo Sammarco Pizzeria 2.0 (Frattamaggiore, Campania)
- ‘O Scugnizzo (Arezzo)
- Crosta (Milan)
- Pupillo Pura Pizza (Frosinone, Lazio)
- Apogeo (Pietrasanta)
- La Cascina dei Sapori (Rezzato, Lombardy)
- Patrick Ricci – Terra, Grani, Esplorazioni (San Mauro Torinese, Piedmont)
- Pizzeria Panetteria Bosco (Tempio Pausania, Sardinia)
- 400 Gradi (Lecce)
- Denis (Milan)
- Pizzeria Da Lioniello (Succivo, Campania)
- Enosteria Lipen (Triuggio, Lombardy)
- Officine del Cibo (Sarzana, Liguria)
- L’Orso (Messina)
- Sbanco (Rome)
- Frumento (Acireale, Sicily)
- La Braciera (Palermo)
- Fandango (Potenza)
- Il Vecchio e il Mare (Florence)
- Pizzeria Le Parùle (Ercolano)
- Giovanni Santarpia (Florence)
- Giangi Pizza e Ricerca (Arielli, Abruzzo)
- BOB Alchimia a Spicchi (Montepaone Lido, Calabria)
- I Borboni Pizzeria (Pontecagnano Faiano, Campania)
- Sant’Isidoro – Pizza & Bolle (Rome)
- ‘O Fiore Mio (Faenza, Emilia-Romagna)
- Grigoris (Mestre, Veneto)
- Modus (Milan)
- Pizzeria Gigi Pipa (Este, Veneto)
- Maiori (Cagliari, Sardinia)
- Luppolo & Farina (Latiano, Puglia)
- Antica Friggitoria Masardona Roma (Rome)
- Palazzo Petrucci Pizzeria (Naples)
- Pizzeria Chicco (Colle di Val d’Elsa)
- Giotto Pizzeria – Bistrot (Florence)
- Guglielmo & Enrico Vuolo (Verona)